Happening today: Celebrate Haitian Heritage Month in Orlando

ORLANDO, Fla. — Orlando’s third annual Haitian Heritage Month Celebration gets underway on Thursday.

Party attendees can learn more about Haitian culture through music, art and food at the event, which starts at 6:30 p.m.

>>> STREAM CHANNEL 9 EYEWITNESS NEWS LIVE <<<

The first two events were virtual, because of the pandemic. So this year will be the first time things will be in-person at the UCF Downtown campus.

“I’m excited for everyone to see what we have put together. We have a historian coming to go over what beautiful history of us is,” said Loudwine Norcilus with the Greater Haitian American Chamber of Commerce, which organizes the event.

READ: Marnie Schulenburg, ‘As the World Turns’ star, dead at 37

Norcilus said when most Central Floridians think of Haiti they envision a hurricane and earthquake-ravaged island nation in the Caribbean. The event is designed to change that perception.

“I would say, if 1% is having a problem, the rest of the 99% of the country is fine, then let’s go visit that. Let’s learn about that,” Norcilus said.

READ: Central Florida economist: Anticipate another recession

She said it’s also an opportunity to highlight all the Haitian businesses thriving here in Central Florida.

Click here for more information.

Click here to download the free WFTV news and weather apps, click here to download the WFTV Now app for your smart TV and click here to stream Channel 9 Eyewitness News live.

Q Mccray

Q McCray, WFTV.com

Q McCray is an award-winning general assignment reporter.

Sarah Wilson

Sarah Wilson, WFTV.com

Sarah Wilson joined WFTV Channel 9 in 2018 as a digital producer after working as an award-winning newspaper reporter for nearly a decade in various communities across Central Florida.